Theme

Doctrine and Covenants 88:62-63
And again, verily I say unto you, my friends, I leave these sayings with you to ponder in your hearts, with this commandment which I give unto you, that ye shall call upon me while I am near --Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fall Harvest Recipes


Zucchini Soup - Jandy Barry

1 ¼ lb zucchini, unpeeled and sliced thin
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
¼ c butter
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 med. Onion, chopped
½ tsp. salt
1 can chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken soup
½ cup of light cream or evaporated milk
Sautee onion and zucchini in butter until limp. Add chicken broth and simmer covered 15 min.
Puree in blender and add cream of chicken soup, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cream.
Blend, heat and serve.
*Note: To make it healthier in the past, I’ve substituted olive oil for the butter. I also use skim evaporated milk. The soup always tastes great.


Bottled Apple Pie Filling - Jessica Smith

32 c apples, peeled and sliced (I fill up my stock pot about 5 inches from the
top)
Boil apples in water until softened. Drain and add ¾ c lemon juice
In big sauce pan combine:
5 ½ c sugar
1 T cinnamon
2 ½ c cold water
5 c apple juice
1 tsp nutmeg
1 ½ c modified food starch/clear gel ( I buy this at Macey’s and you need to
sprinkle it in so it doesn’t clump)
Boil until mixture thickens.
Mix apples and sauce mixture and return to a boil for 1 minute. Pour into
jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Process for 35 minutes. Makes about 6-8jars.


Freezer Corn - Jessica Smith

12 c corn
1 cube butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp sugar
1 c water
Bring to boil, then simmer for 5 min.
Put on cookie sheets, and place in freezer
Break up and put in freezer bags.

Chocolate Zucchini Brownies - Judith Ann Benedict

1/2 c. margarine
1/2 c. oil
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 c. grated zucchini
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 t. vanilla (I used Mexican vanilla which gives a little different
flavor that I like)
2 1/2 c. flour
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
1 t. soda
1 t. baking powder
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, cream the sugar,
margarine and oil together. Add eggs, zucchini, buttermilk and
vanilla. Then add the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into a
9 by 13 pan that has been sprayed with PAM. Sprinkle with a topping of
3/4 c. each of chocolate chips and brown sugar. (In reality, I probably
had more chocolate chips and less sugar--chocolate is good!). Nuts can
also be added if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
(In my oven, 40 minutes is perfect)

Zucchini Bread - Jennifer Wilson

Mix:
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 cup cooking oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
Spray loaf pan (or small loaf pans--about 4) with cooking spray.
Fill with batter. Bake 60 min. at 350° F.

Butternut Squash Soup - Betty Roberts

½ Cup diced white onion
5 cloves Garlic
½ Cup diced celery
4 Cups diced
½ Cup diced carrots
butternut squash**
1 tsp. fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp. ground thyme
2 ounces butter
Sautee above ingredients with butter until golden
brown. Include following ingredients:
5 Cups chicken stock
*2 Cups heavy cream
Add chicken stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add cream and simmer for 30 minutes. Puree and
strain through a fine sieve. Add salt and pepper to
taste. -- Chef Sparks Restaurant Provo, Utah

*I use half and half instead of heavy cream
** substitute ANY squash or pumpkin

Pumpkin Soup - Betty Roberts

First, select a pumpkin; cut out a 'lid' around the top stem; clean out the seeds and "strings";
If you are not going to serve the soup in the pumpkin, then slice the pumpkin into pieces and then cut the pumpkin into cubes, removing the flesh from the rind. You'll need 4-8 cups of pumpkin cubed.
IF you ARE going to serve the soup in the pumpkin, do NOT do it the hard way like I did. Buy a second pumpkin and slice and cube it as per the above instructions. I carefully (about 1 hours worth of work) scraped some of the pumpkin from the inside being very careful to NOT get too close to the rind so I COULD serve the soup in the pumpkin. I won't do that again. . .I'll buy 2 pumpkins!!

Boil the cubed (or scraped - - if you want to be crazy like me) pumpkin in 12-14 cups of water. When it's soft, use a strainer to separate the pumpkin from the water.

Put the water back in the soup pan and use one package of Cream Soup base that you buy from Courtney Frost.
Stirring in a little at a time and using a wire whisk, until you've used the entire package, you might need to add more water if the base is too thick for your preference.

Puree the pumpkin that has been simmered/boiled in water. Add it to the cream base. I actually bought a large can of pumpkin and used half of the can because I only had the one pumpkin and the soup didn't taste pumpkiney enough at first. I also sautéed 1/2 C. of each of the following in 2 Tab. butter:
1/2 C chopped onions 1/2 C chopped carrots 1/2 C. chopped celery
When these were tender, I pureed them and added them to the above ingredients. I also added 1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground thyme and 1/2 tsp garlic powder (NOT garlic salt).

I was experimenting with the above recipe by combining part of my Butternut Squash Soup recipe (I'm attaching it to this) with the cream powder base from Courtney Frost. But you may choose to just follow the Butternut Squash Soup recipe and substitute pumpkin (canned or fresh) for the butternut squash. If you use canned pumpkin, you might need to adjust the amount of pumpkin you add to the butternut recipe.

Using the cream powder base made a much larger quantity of soup than just the attached recipe (5 C. broth + 2 C. cream vs. 12-14 C. water with the powder base).

I hope this isn't too confusing and that it doesn't "sound" or "look" too complicated for you to give it a try. Have fun with it and make your own variation. Let me know if I can help and how it goes for you.

Peach and Pear Jam - Adrynne Chidester

12 peaches
6 pears
3 oranges, rind of 2, juice of 3
1 lemon, juice and rind
Grind fruit. Add equal amount of sugar. Let set overnight. Cook slowly 1 hour. Makes 7-8 glasses of jam.
I brought a variation of this to RS using 4 cups powdered sugar rather than the much larger quantity of table sugar that it called for. Also, I didn't set it in the fridge.


Zucchini Bread/Muffins/Cupcakes - Orva Miner

350 degrees 30 mins or less test it
2 C grated zucchini
3 eggs
1 C oil
2 C sugar
3 tsp vanilla
3 C flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
3 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp backing powder
1/2 C nuts (hers had none so optional)


Zucchini & Yellow Crookneck Squash Casserole - Orva Miner

(She made it up)
Slices of sweet unions
Slices of Zucchini
Slices of croockneck
(Layer them added salt and pepper)
Mixed
1/4 cube of butter
1/4 C oil
Poured over the layers added basil
Cover
Baked at 350 until soft
Added cheese, put back in oven without cover until cheese melted.



No comments:

Post a Comment